Doctors` strike claims Afghan national`s dies
Jaipur: On a business trip to India, little
did Afghan national Mohammad Daud know that he would meet his
fate in an accident on the streets of the Pink City where
treatment was delayed due to a strike by doctors.
The 45-year-old carpet dealer was crossing the MI road
here yesterday when a speeding bus hit him, police said.
A local restaurant owner and others rushed him to Sawai
Man Singh Hospital, which is the biggest government hospital
in the state, and requested the staff present there to start
his treatment but doctors` allegedly took about an hour to
start it and he succumbed to his injuries, hospital sources
"Daud had arrived here with his brother who left for
Afghanistan few days back and Daud was staying alone here. He
had befriended some local traders here. His visa was valid
till January 2, 2012 and he was preparing to go to his home in
Afghanistan," the police said.
"We have informed his brother as well as officers in the
Afghan Embassy and his body has been shifted to a mortuary at
the SMS Hospital," police said, adding, that the bus driver
was arrested soon after the incident.
When contacted, L C Sharma, Superintendent of SMS
hospital, said, "I cannot comment as I am in a meeting."
Government doctors in the state are on a strike since
December 21 demanding time-bound promotions and pay hike.
Non-availability of medical services has claimed the lives of
50 patients in the state.
The state government has made alternate arrangements for
treatment of people and sought services of the Army, BSF,
railway and private hospitals to minimise the impact of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Shravan 2016: Today is the first Somwar - Know what you need to do
- Eight dead, 20 missing in Malaysia boat accident
- Sandeep Yadav – Narsingh Yadav's roommate, also fails doping test
- KSRTC, BMTC strike begins today; two-day holiday for schools declared
- Dinosaur species may shed new light on megaraptorids