Eight killed in Bharatpur violence, curfew imposed
Bharatpur: At least eight persons were
killed today in a clash here between two communities over a
land dispute, forcing the district authorities to impose
curfew in a few areas.
The clash erupted this morning when some members of
Gujjar and Muslim communities confronted each other over a
land-related dispute. They pelted stones and exchanged fire.
"The situation further deteriorated and at least eight
persons were killed in the violence till evening," District
Collector Krishna Kunal said.
Additional forces have been called in from Jaipur and
other neighbouring districts to bring the situation to
normalcy, Divisional Commissioner Rajeshwar Singh said.
"As per primary information, they were killed in firing.
Heavy deployment of force has already been done and additional
forces have been called in from Jaipur and other nearby
districts to control the situation," he said.
Curfew has been imposed in Pahadi, Jurera, Gopalgarh,
Kaman, Sikri and Nagar areas of the district, the collector
According to police, alleged incorrect entry of land
meant for digging a pond as a graveyard in government records
by a local patwari was the cause of the clash.
"Gujjars were opposed to it and claimed that the land
was never meant for graveyard. The matter is sub-judice but
some youths from both the sides entered heated arguments and
scuffled yesterday in which two persons were injured.
Today, they once again clashed and the situation worsened
later, a police official said.
Additional DG (Law and Order) Navdeep Singh said in
Jaipur that additional forces and senior officers have been
rushed to Bharatpur.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot has called a
high-level meeting to review the situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in