Eight killed in Bharatpur violence, curfew imposed
Bharatpur: At least eight persons were
killed today in a clash here between two communities over a
land dispute, forcing the district authorities to impose
curfew in a few areas.
The clash erupted this morning when some members of
Gujjar and Muslim communities confronted each other over a
land-related dispute. They pelted stones and exchanged fire.
"The situation further deteriorated and at least eight
persons were killed in the violence till evening," District
Collector Krishna Kunal said.
Additional forces have been called in from Jaipur and
other neighbouring districts to bring the situation to
normalcy, Divisional Commissioner Rajeshwar Singh said.
"As per primary information, they were killed in firing.
Heavy deployment of force has already been done and additional
forces have been called in from Jaipur and other nearby
districts to control the situation," he said.
Curfew has been imposed in Pahadi, Jurera, Gopalgarh,
Kaman, Sikri and Nagar areas of the district, the collector
According to police, alleged incorrect entry of land
meant for digging a pond as a graveyard in government records
by a local patwari was the cause of the clash.
"Gujjars were opposed to it and claimed that the land
was never meant for graveyard. The matter is sub-judice but
some youths from both the sides entered heated arguments and
scuffled yesterday in which two persons were injured.
Today, they once again clashed and the situation worsened
later, a police official said.
Additional DG (Law and Order) Navdeep Singh said in
Jaipur that additional forces and senior officers have been
rushed to Bharatpur.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot has called a
high-level meeting to review the situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report