Elderly tribal woman thrashed in lock-up, police deny charges
Bundi: A 60-year-old tribal widow, whose son was accused in several theft cases, was illegally detained and allegedly thrashed by policemen in a lock-up here, a charge denied by the authorities.
In a written complaint to Bundi district collector Arti Dogera yesterday, Radhabai, a resident of Dabalana area, alleged a policeman forcibly picked her up from Gujjar hostel situated on Bivanwa-Dolara road on July 10.
The widow alleged she was kept for three days in Kotwali police lock-up, where policeman used to beat her during interrogation.
"I was severely beaten by male police personnel...I could not even walk after the severe thrashing," Radhabai stated in her complaint.
Following the complaint, the district collector ordered a probe into the matter, officials said.
"Medical tests of the widow has been conducted and the truth will come out only after the probe is completed," investigating officer ADM Dev Anand Mathur said.
Meanwhile, Kotwali police denied the woman`s allegations.
"The woman was not kept in police custody for three days. No police personnel touched the widow. She is making false allegations to save her son, who is accused in a number of theft and burglary cases," Additional SP N L Pavan told a press conference here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price