Ensure protection of Pak prisoners in states: PUCL
Jaipur: People`s Union for Civil Liberties has appealed to the Centre to issue an advisory to all states to ensure protection of Pakistani prisoners in their areas in the wake of brutal attack on Sarabjit Singh in Pakistan.
Condemning the attack, the organisation also demanded from the Government of Pakistan that Sarabjit should be sent for best available treatment to any country having more advanced medical facilities to save his life.
"The PUCL fears repercussion of this in India and would appeal to the Government of India to issue an advisory to all state governments to ensure protection of Pakistani prisoners in their states so that such incidents are not repeated," a statement said.
"The PUCL would also like to appeal to the Government of Rajasthan that security should be raised for all the Pakistani prisoners in the various jails of the state," PUCL General Secretary Kavita Srivastava said in the statement.
She said in case Sarabjit is brain dead, he should be brought back home so that his family can be with him in the last moments of his life.
"We condemn the attack. We are shocked that co-prisoners were allowed into his ward by the Kot Lakhpat jail authorities with bricks and other sharp edged instruments causing serious head injuries.
"There seems to be connivance of the Jail authorities in this murderous attack on Sarabjit," she said.
"While we are happy that the Government of Pakistan has instituted an enquiry, the PUCL demands that it be a fair enquiry and criminal cases be lodged against the culprits so that Sarabjit gets justice," she said.
Srivastava said both Sarabjit and his family had been waiting for the last 22 years for his return, but they may now never see that day with reports of his condition deteriorating continuously.
"It was a case of mistaken identity with enough evidence showing that the Trial court, Lahore High Court and the Supreme Court of Pakistan refused to enquire into the grey areas of the case.
"He was vulnerable not only because of the crime that he had allegedly committed, being on death row for a terrorist crime, but also because of his nationality being Indian, belonging to a county with whom Pakistan has serious hostilities," she said, while reiterating that the PUCL is against the death penalty in any case.
Sarabjit, 49, sustained several injuries, including a skull fracture, when six prisoners attacked him in Kot Lakhpat Jail on Friday afternoon.
He was convicted of alleged involvement in a string of bomb attacks in Punjab province that killed 14 people in 1990.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow