Equal education for all big challenge for govt: Speaker
Jaipur: Holding that there were two education systems being run in the country, one for the rich and the other for the poor, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar today said that merging the two to provide equal opportunities for all was the biggest challenge facing the government.
"Two types of education are running parallel in our country and making them one is a big challenge before us," Kumar said.
"Students of low income group in villages, towns and slums are being provided education in irresponsible manner, while private schools of excellent category are there for children of rich families where high fees are charged," she said.
"It is parallel education like rail tracks and merging them for making equal education for all is a big challenge," the Speaker said, while recalling her early school days in Delhi where a driver`s daughter also studied with her.
Addressing 68th Foundation Day Celebrations of the University of Rajasthan, Kumar said much attention was given to improving higher education but there was still a long way to go to fulfill the needs and aspirations of today`s youth.
"Several institutions of higher education were set up but we are lacking behind when it comes to quality of education. Therefore, there is a need for improvement in the education system," she said.
Kumar also laid emphasis on women`s education and called upon youths to eradicate the social evils of casteism and dowry.
Rajasthan Governor Margaret Alva also addressed the function and, highlighting shortcomings in the education system, asked stakeholders to make sincere efforts for improvement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations