Ex-soldier turns 100, gifts hospital to village
Dudawas (Rajasthan): Rao Kabool Singh, a World War-II veteran from Rajasthan who has turned 100, Sunday gifted a 15-bedded hospital to this remote village in Jaipur district.
Kabool Singh`s grandsons, Madan Mohan and Krishan Mohan, who run a car-rental service, constructed the hospital to fulfil their grandfather`s dream.
"We have some land in this village and used to come here. Baba ji (Kabool Singh) saw the plight of the people and expressed his desire of establishing a hospital in the village," said Madan Mohan.
"This is just a start, we plan to upgrade it to 30-beds very soon. Also, we will install an X-ray machine and we hope the hospital will begin functioning within two months," he added.
Before inaugurating the hospital, Rajasthan Health Minister Aimaduddin Ahmad Khan congratulated Kabool Singh on turning 100 Saturday and lauded his social work.
"I hope the people would take inspiration from Rao sahib`s life. He first spent the active years of his life in the army, serving the nation, and now he spends the time in social service," he said.
For the 5,000 residents of Dudavas, the inauguration of the hospital was nothing short of a carnival with Kabool Singh flying in with his family members in two helicopters. Another unusual attraction was a 1931 Chrysler from the family`s vintage car collection.
The choppers, however, remained the biggest draw with groups of children running around the helipads and cheering whenever the choppers took off or landed.
The function was replete military flavour with the presence of army officers and ex-servicemen, besides a bagpipers` band playing in the background.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble