Ex-soldier turns 100, gifts hospital to village
Dudawas (Rajasthan): Rao Kabool Singh, a World War-II veteran from Rajasthan who has turned 100, Sunday gifted a 15-bedded hospital to this remote village in Jaipur district.
Kabool Singh`s grandsons, Madan Mohan and Krishan Mohan, who run a car-rental service, constructed the hospital to fulfil their grandfather`s dream.
"We have some land in this village and used to come here. Baba ji (Kabool Singh) saw the plight of the people and expressed his desire of establishing a hospital in the village," said Madan Mohan.
"This is just a start, we plan to upgrade it to 30-beds very soon. Also, we will install an X-ray machine and we hope the hospital will begin functioning within two months," he added.
Before inaugurating the hospital, Rajasthan Health Minister Aimaduddin Ahmad Khan congratulated Kabool Singh on turning 100 Saturday and lauded his social work.
"I hope the people would take inspiration from Rao sahib`s life. He first spent the active years of his life in the army, serving the nation, and now he spends the time in social service," he said.
For the 5,000 residents of Dudavas, the inauguration of the hospital was nothing short of a carnival with Kabool Singh flying in with his family members in two helicopters. Another unusual attraction was a 1931 Chrysler from the family`s vintage car collection.
The choppers, however, remained the biggest draw with groups of children running around the helipads and cheering whenever the choppers took off or landed.
The function was replete military flavour with the presence of army officers and ex-servicemen, besides a bagpipers` band playing in the background.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22