Facebook comments spark riot in Rajasthan
Udaipur: Fresh communal violence broke
out in Rajasthan`s Dungarpur town on Monday as members of a community
pelted stones at shops and vehicles protesting against
objectionable comments against a religion on social-networking
site Facebook and clashed with police.
Prohibitory orders were clamped in Dungarpur town, about
130 kms from here, after the violence left six persons,
including in-charge of police station Goverdhan Lal, injured.
The violent protest was a sequel to last night`s tension
in Udaipur over the comments on Facebook with members of the
community holding demonstration in Mukherjee Chowk area near
Masjid Chudigaran and burning tyres.
In Dungarpur, the community members this morning took out
a silent rally which turned violent when a youth driving a
motorcycle entered the crowd.
The agitators beat up the youth and pelted stones at
shops and damaged public property, Inspector General of Poice
Govind Gupta said.
Police used batons and fired tear gas shells to quell the
Senior district and police officials have reached the
spot, Gupta said.
The agitators also submitted a memorandum to district
collectorate of Dungarpur protesting against the objectionable
Police said the comments, posted from a fake account,
have been removed and investigations are on to nab the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof