Facebook comments spark riot in Rajasthan
Udaipur: Fresh communal violence broke
out in Rajasthan`s Dungarpur town on Monday as members of a community
pelted stones at shops and vehicles protesting against
objectionable comments against a religion on social-networking
site Facebook and clashed with police.
Prohibitory orders were clamped in Dungarpur town, about
130 kms from here, after the violence left six persons,
including in-charge of police station Goverdhan Lal, injured.
The violent protest was a sequel to last night`s tension
in Udaipur over the comments on Facebook with members of the
community holding demonstration in Mukherjee Chowk area near
Masjid Chudigaran and burning tyres.
In Dungarpur, the community members this morning took out
a silent rally which turned violent when a youth driving a
motorcycle entered the crowd.
The agitators beat up the youth and pelted stones at
shops and damaged public property, Inspector General of Poice
Govind Gupta said.
Police used batons and fired tear gas shells to quell the
Senior district and police officials have reached the
spot, Gupta said.
The agitators also submitted a memorandum to district
collectorate of Dungarpur protesting against the objectionable
Police said the comments, posted from a fake account,
have been removed and investigations are on to nab the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?