Facebook comments spark riot in Rajasthan
Udaipur: Fresh communal violence broke
out in Rajasthan`s Dungarpur town on Monday as members of a community
pelted stones at shops and vehicles protesting against
objectionable comments against a religion on social-networking
site Facebook and clashed with police.
Prohibitory orders were clamped in Dungarpur town, about
130 kms from here, after the violence left six persons,
including in-charge of police station Goverdhan Lal, injured.
The violent protest was a sequel to last night`s tension
in Udaipur over the comments on Facebook with members of the
community holding demonstration in Mukherjee Chowk area near
Masjid Chudigaran and burning tyres.
In Dungarpur, the community members this morning took out
a silent rally which turned violent when a youth driving a
motorcycle entered the crowd.
The agitators beat up the youth and pelted stones at
shops and damaged public property, Inspector General of Poice
Govind Gupta said.
Police used batons and fired tear gas shells to quell the
Senior district and police officials have reached the
spot, Gupta said.
The agitators also submitted a memorandum to district
collectorate of Dungarpur protesting against the objectionable
Police said the comments, posted from a fake account,
have been removed and investigations are on to nab the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad