Facebook comments spark riot in Rajasthan
Udaipur: Fresh communal violence broke
out in Rajasthan`s Dungarpur town on Monday as members of a community
pelted stones at shops and vehicles protesting against
objectionable comments against a religion on social-networking
site Facebook and clashed with police.
Prohibitory orders were clamped in Dungarpur town, about
130 kms from here, after the violence left six persons,
including in-charge of police station Goverdhan Lal, injured.
The violent protest was a sequel to last night`s tension
in Udaipur over the comments on Facebook with members of the
community holding demonstration in Mukherjee Chowk area near
Masjid Chudigaran and burning tyres.
In Dungarpur, the community members this morning took out
a silent rally which turned violent when a youth driving a
motorcycle entered the crowd.
The agitators beat up the youth and pelted stones at
shops and damaged public property, Inspector General of Poice
Govind Gupta said.
Police used batons and fired tear gas shells to quell the
Senior district and police officials have reached the
spot, Gupta said.
The agitators also submitted a memorandum to district
collectorate of Dungarpur protesting against the objectionable
Police said the comments, posted from a fake account,
have been removed and investigations are on to nab the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog