Farmers agitate against land acquisition in Rajasthan
Barmer (Rajasthan): Hundreds of farmers in this Rajasthan district bordering Pakistan are up in arms against the state government`s notice to acquire 2,300 hectares of land for an unspecified public purpose.
"We will never part with our land for any government project at any cost," a farmer staging a sit-in outside the district headquarters told IANS Saturday.
"Let them first disclose the purpose of acquisition of this 2,300 hectares of land from a dozen villages, which supports more than 1,500 families," Ritesh Sharma, secretary of Legal Mitra, an NGO, which is part of the agitation against land acquisition, said.
According to official sources, the land is being acquired for a lignite mining project.
"The government is acquiring our land without informing us that what reason it is being acquired. The only reply we have got from the state government so far is that the land is being acquired for public purpose work. We have a right to know the details," said another farmer.
"Where will the farmers go after being uprooted from here?".
Vikram Singh Rathod, a key organiser of the protest, told IANS: "We have filed a writ petition in the high court and asked for transparency and avoidance of unnecessary land acquisition."
The protesters marched through Barmer town, 530 km from state capital Jaipur, and staged a sit-in that will continue till October 30. They have also submitted a memorandum to the district collector.
"Every time, in the name of national interest, farmers are compelled to part with their land. But this time, we want transparency," Chagan Singh, a farmer, said.
The issue has also become a Facebook campaign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leading in 85 seats, BJP in 53; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: BJP leader Kirit Somaiya's son wins in Mumbai; Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM grabs 5 seats in Solapur
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Counting underway; Shiv Sena leads the race