Fire breaks out in office inside City Palace in Jaipur
Jaipur: A fire on Sunday broke out in the administrative office inside the City Palace complex here and spread to an art gallery, damaging some records and paintings.
"The fire damaged the office and some portion of the art gallery. Some items and paintings in the gallery have also been damaged," DCP (north) Ashok Gupta said.
He said the flames were controlled by fire tenders and no one was injured in the incident.
"Short circuit seems a probable cause of the fire which broke out when the office and gallery were closed in the morning," he said.
Additional SP Sunil Vishnoi said some records and other material in the administrative office got burnt.
The fire broke out around 8:45 am and 13 fire tenders were pressed into action to douse it, senior fire officer Ishwar Lal Jat said.
"Important ancient documents, facets art and library material of historical importance were gutted," he said, adding "the fire broke out in an area in which an office and museum (Maharaja Bhawani Singh Gallery) were located". Forty shops selling tourism material on the ground floor were unaffected by the fire, he said.
According to City Palace sources, the office where the fire broke out was on the first floor and the flames spread to a commercial art gallery `Friends of Museum` located on the the ground floor.
"There was no damage to the museums of the City Palace and to the residential area," the sources said.
The Friends of Museum is a space where artists and craftsmen display their skills and crafts.
City Palace is a palace complex in the Pink City and was the seat of the Maharaja of Jaipur. One of its part now houses a museum but the greater part of it is the residence of the members of Jaipur`s erstwhile royal family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Russia to pay bonuses to athletes barred from Rio Olympics 2016
- Scorpene data leak unintentional, navy will address all concerns: Parrikar
- Day/Night Duleep Trophy: India Red crush India Green by 219 runs
- UEFA Europa League Draw: Groups, Fixtures, Top clashes – All you need to know!
- Beware! If you are woman and using elevator alone - WATCH Video