Former Rajasthan minister, former MLA quit Congress
Jaipur: Ahead of assembly elections in Rajasthan, a former minister and a former MLA have quit Congress and joined NCP and NPP respectively.
The former minister, Dula Ram, joined Nationalist Congress Party, while former MLA Ashok Tanwar joined National People`s Party.
Tanwar said he was feeling neglected in Congress, which had forced him to take the decision.
"I sent my resignation to the Congress state chief few days back," he said.
The former MLA had contested Assembly elections on Congress ticket in 1998 from Fagi seat and won.
However, in 2008 he contested as an independent after being denied ticket to contest the polls, but did not win.
Tanwar said he had contested Assembly polls as an independent in 2003 and 2008 after Congress did not give him ticket, and claimed that he had garnered more votes than the candidate fielded by the party.
NCP state chief Sanjay Kumar Singh said his party will field candidates for 50 out of 200 Assembly seats.
He said those leaving Congress will be accommodated in the party but not members defecting from BJP.
NPP state chief Golma Devi said her party would field candidates for 50 seats, out of which names of 10 candidates have already been announced.
Assembly elections will be held in Rajasthan on December 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?