Four infants injured in Bikaner hospital fire
Bikaner: Four babies were injured after a short circuit triggered a fire at the Prince Bijoy Memorial Hospital here on Sunday morning.
The untoward incident, which took place in the early hours of the day, threw the hospital staff and the guardians of newborn children into a panic.
"At 3:20 am, there was a short circuit in a heater, which triggered a short-circuit in an AC, after which fire and smoke spread rapidly through the hospital. The children and their guardians were taken out of the hospital nursery. The nursing staff evacuated three unknown children. All the children are safe now," said Rajesh, an eyewitness.
District Collector Arti Dogra, who rushed to the hospital, said that there would be a probe into fire safety provisions at the hospital.
"Our first priority was to examine and attend to the children who were evacuated. As far as issues of lapses and lack of safety provisions are concerned, we will examine them in detail," Dogra said.
The injured children were shifted into the intensive care, while doctors continued to examine the other babies at the hospital for any injuries or ailments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...