Fresh case against Ashis Nandy in Jodhpur
Jaipur: Renowned sociologist Ashis Nandy found himself in fresh trouble Wednesday as another police case was registered against him in Rajasthan`s Jodhpur city under the SC/ST Act.
This case too relates to comments Nandy made at the recently concluded Jaipur Literature Festival.
Speaking of how people long denied power were wresting it from the established elite, Nandy had said that Dalits, tribals and other backward classes (OBCs) were engaged in "corruption", by which he meant that these groups functioned without being constrained by law or propriety in their bid to better their plight.
A case was booked Saturday by Jaipur police against the maverick sociologist for these comments under the same sections of law.
The First Information Report (FIR) was registered against Nandy with Mahamandir police station in Jodhpur, some 330 km from Jaipur.
"One Naresh Kandara has registered the case under the Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe (Prevention of Atrocities) Act (SC/ST Act) and one section of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) on Tuesday," said the officer.
The Jaipur police have already sent Nandy a notice at his New Delhi residence, requiring him to appear before the investigation officer for questioning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015