Gang had planned to free Bishana from police
Jodhpur: The gang which escaped with Bhanwari Devi murder accused Kailash Jakhar after opening fire outside court premises here had actually planned to whisk away their leader Bishana Ram Bishnoi.
One of the three arrested for the shootout on Thursday, during preliminary interrogation revealed that they had come to the court to take away Bishana for finalising some illegal land deals involving crores of rupees, Police Commissioner Bhupendra Kumar Dak said.
In the scamper after the firing, Jakhar managed to escape but Bishana was unable to do so as he was caught by a policeman.
The shootout happened when Bishana and Jakhar, who were allegedly involved in disposing of the body of nurse Bhanwari Devi, were being taken back to jail from the court where they were brought for hearing in an another case.
The three arrested in the shootout are Hanumana Ram Choudhary, Ranveer Singh and Ram Chandra. One more was detained today in connection with the firing.
Dak said that all the arrested are members of a common gang and have criminal antecedents.
During interrogation, they revealed that three teams comprising around 16-18 members of their gang had come at the court that day on three vehicles to free their boss.
Meanwhile, joint police teams of commissionerate and rural police have been carrying out intensive raids at all the possible hideouts of Jakhar.
"We have been focusing on the surrounding districts like Barmer and Bikaner besides Jodhpur and are hopeful to apprehend some more persons soon," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- Panel discussion over rights of Muslim women
- DNA: How passengers risk their lives while travelling by train - Part II
- DNA: How passengers risk their lives while travelling by train
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...