Gang had planned to free Bishana from police
Jodhpur: The gang which escaped with Bhanwari Devi murder accused Kailash Jakhar after opening fire outside court premises here had actually planned to whisk away their leader Bishana Ram Bishnoi.
One of the three arrested for the shootout on Thursday, during preliminary interrogation revealed that they had come to the court to take away Bishana for finalising some illegal land deals involving crores of rupees, Police Commissioner Bhupendra Kumar Dak said.
In the scamper after the firing, Jakhar managed to escape but Bishana was unable to do so as he was caught by a policeman.
The shootout happened when Bishana and Jakhar, who were allegedly involved in disposing of the body of nurse Bhanwari Devi, were being taken back to jail from the court where they were brought for hearing in an another case.
The three arrested in the shootout are Hanumana Ram Choudhary, Ranveer Singh and Ram Chandra. One more was detained today in connection with the firing.
Dak said that all the arrested are members of a common gang and have criminal antecedents.
During interrogation, they revealed that three teams comprising around 16-18 members of their gang had come at the court that day on three vehicles to free their boss.
Meanwhile, joint police teams of commissionerate and rural police have been carrying out intensive raids at all the possible hideouts of Jakhar.
"We have been focusing on the surrounding districts like Barmer and Bikaner besides Jodhpur and are hopeful to apprehend some more persons soon," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM