Jaipur: Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot on Wednesday refuted charges of favouring his relatives in allotting mines in Jodhpur and said he was ready to face a probe into the matter.
As soon as the CM began his budget speech in the Assembly, BJP whip Rajendra Rathore demanded clarification from him about media reports claiming that Gehlot`s relatives were allotted sandstone mines at "throwaway prices" in Jodhpur.
Waiving news clippings, some BJP members rushed in the Well of the House, trying to prevent Gehlot from delivering his speech.
Responding to it, Gehlot said that the allegations were baseless and he was ready for any inquiry.
He said that the decision to allot mines was approved by the Cabinet and he did not favour anyone.
Gehlot also proposed that that Leader of Opposition Gulab Chand Kataria may suggest on how the matter can be probed, following which, Kataria requested the Speaker Deependra Singh Shekhawat to form a committee of the House and probe the allegations.
The uproar ended after Kataria said that the committee should present its report during the current budget session only.
Interacting with the media after the day`s session, the Chief Minister stressed that the allegations were baseless and no rules were flouted.
Gehlot said that people of his community have been engaged in the mining work in Jodhpur for many years and his relatives may also have mines there, but it does not mean that they got the mines due to his influence.
The report, run by a news channel yesterday and then published by a vernacular daily today, claimed that out of the total 37 allottees, 16 were either relatives or close to Gehlot and were allotted sandstone mines last year in Jodhpur after changes in the mines policy.