Gehlot under scanner over sandstone mining scam
New Delhi: Spelling trouble for Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot, the opposition leaders have accused him of giving mining contracts to his close relatives at throwaway prices.
It was reported on Wednesday that Gehlot, who is in final year of his five-year term as the state’s Chief Minister, even altered the mining contract norms in 2012 to benefit his relatives.
The Rajasthan Chief Minister faces allegations of allotting sandstone mines near Jodhpur`s `Bada Kotecha` village to his close relatives.
Reports further allege that 19 out of the total 37 mines allotted there, went to Gehlot`s relatives, including Manjula Gehlot, wife of the CM`s brother Agrasen, Shalini Gehlot, his brother`s daughter-in-law and Veena Kachhawa, wife of his nephew Jaswant Singh.
The Rajasthan congress leader also faces accusations of altering the mining allotment norms in November 2012 to benefit his relatives.
According to a investigation, 37 of the original 87 applicants, including 19 Gehlot relatives, benefitted after mining norms were altered.
However, Gehlot’s supporters and colleagues in the state cabinet categorically dismiss such allegations.
"There are the highest number of Gehlots in our community so they are saying that everybody named is our brother or a relative. This is just a political propaganda by the Opposition." Ashok Gehlot`s brother Agrasen Gehlot said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- 'NSG applications of Pakistan, India should be considered together'
- Jung, Meena will be summoned over Sheila govt 'scams': Dy Speaker
- CBI files fresh chargesheet against two in Vyapam cases
- ED officer loses annual increments for harassing woman
- Finally! Ringing Bells ready with two lakh Freedom 251 phones: Mohit Goel