Girl immolates self after attempted rape
Alwar/Jaipur: A 19-year-old girl committed self immolation after a youth tried to rape her in Alwar district of Rajasthan, the second such incident in the state this week.
The victim poured kerosene and set herself afire in her house in Alwar`s Laxmangarh town yesterday. She was admitted to a local hospital and referred to Jaipur`s SMS government hospital where she died today, police said.
"Rajesh Jogi allegedly attempted to rape the girl four- five days back and she set herself ablaze yesterday," Circle Officer Ashok Kumar Meena said.
The girl in her statement alleged that Jogi had attempted to rape her. Police said the accused was involved in scuffle with the girl`s brother before she committed suicide.
"The victim was admitted at 3 PM with 85 per cent burn injuries today. She was unconscious and succumbed to the injuries around 4.15 PM," spokesperson of the SMS hospital said in Jaipur.
A case under relevant sections of IPC was registered against the accused who was was arrested last night. He was produced before a local court in Alwar which remanded him in judicial custody.
Just days earlier, a 14-year girl had tried to commit suicide by setting herself afire after she was allegedly raped by a 25-year-old youth in Rajasthan`s Pali district.
The girl was allegedly raped in Dholia village. She was hospitalised in Ajmer where her condition was stated to be stable.
The incidents come in the midst of nationwide outrage over the brutal gang-rape and assault on a 23-year-old girl in a moving bus in Delhi on December 16. She died in a Singapore hospital on December 29.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened