Girl loses vision in one eye after being beaten up by teacher
Jaipur: In yet another instance of corporal punishment resulting in serious injuries, a Class I student has lost vision in her left eye after a teacher allegedly thrashed her for not doing her homework in Jhunjhunu district.
A case has been registered against the class teacher Pratibha Singh after police ascertained that 7-year-old Piya Chaudhary has lost her vision in one of her eyes after being allegedly beaten up on July 3.
The case has been registered under sections 323 (Punishment for voluntarily causing hurt), 325 (Punishment for voluntarily causing grievous hurt) and 341 (Punishment for
wrongful restraint) on August 7, SP Jhunjhunu Ajay Pal Lamba said.
"Since the case is under the said sections, the accused teacher cannot be arrested and the matter is now in the court," the SP said.
As per the medical report, Piya received grievous injury in her left eye. The parents of the girl took her to a hospital for treatment but to no avail, SP said.
Piya is a student of Tagore Public School in Jhunjhunu which is run by the BJP politician Santosh Ahlawat.
"I will approach Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot for justice," Omvati, Piya`s mother, said.
This is the second case of children ending up with serious injuries after being punished by their teachers this week.
In Assam`s Rangiya district, a Class VII student was seriously injured and had to be hospitalised after being allegedly caned by the headmaster of his school.
The boy, Noor Hussain of Borigog Balak Vidyalaya, was allegedly talking and making noises in the class when the headmaster, Pabitra Sarmah, entered the classroom and began caning the boy without asking any questions, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?