Girl loses vision in one eye after being beaten up by teacher
Jaipur: In yet another instance of corporal punishment resulting in serious injuries, a Class I student has lost vision in her left eye after a teacher allegedly thrashed her for not doing her homework in Jhunjhunu district.
A case has been registered against the class teacher Pratibha Singh after police ascertained that 7-year-old Piya Chaudhary has lost her vision in one of her eyes after being allegedly beaten up on July 3.
The case has been registered under sections 323 (Punishment for voluntarily causing hurt), 325 (Punishment for voluntarily causing grievous hurt) and 341 (Punishment for
wrongful restraint) on August 7, SP Jhunjhunu Ajay Pal Lamba said.
"Since the case is under the said sections, the accused teacher cannot be arrested and the matter is now in the court," the SP said.
As per the medical report, Piya received grievous injury in her left eye. The parents of the girl took her to a hospital for treatment but to no avail, SP said.
Piya is a student of Tagore Public School in Jhunjhunu which is run by the BJP politician Santosh Ahlawat.
"I will approach Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot for justice," Omvati, Piya`s mother, said.
This is the second case of children ending up with serious injuries after being punished by their teachers this week.
In Assam`s Rangiya district, a Class VII student was seriously injured and had to be hospitalised after being allegedly caned by the headmaster of his school.
The boy, Noor Hussain of Borigog Balak Vidyalaya, was allegedly talking and making noises in the class when the headmaster, Pabitra Sarmah, entered the classroom and began caning the boy without asking any questions, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?