Girl loses vision in one eye after being beaten up by teacher
Jaipur: In yet another instance of corporal punishment resulting in serious injuries, a Class I student has lost vision in her left eye after a teacher allegedly thrashed her for not doing her homework in Jhunjhunu district.
A case has been registered against the class teacher Pratibha Singh after police ascertained that 7-year-old Piya Chaudhary has lost her vision in one of her eyes after being allegedly beaten up on July 3.
The case has been registered under sections 323 (Punishment for voluntarily causing hurt), 325 (Punishment for voluntarily causing grievous hurt) and 341 (Punishment for
wrongful restraint) on August 7, SP Jhunjhunu Ajay Pal Lamba said.
"Since the case is under the said sections, the accused teacher cannot be arrested and the matter is now in the court," the SP said.
As per the medical report, Piya received grievous injury in her left eye. The parents of the girl took her to a hospital for treatment but to no avail, SP said.
Piya is a student of Tagore Public School in Jhunjhunu which is run by the BJP politician Santosh Ahlawat.
"I will approach Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot for justice," Omvati, Piya`s mother, said.
This is the second case of children ending up with serious injuries after being punished by their teachers this week.
In Assam`s Rangiya district, a Class VII student was seriously injured and had to be hospitalised after being allegedly caned by the headmaster of his school.
The boy, Noor Hussain of Borigog Balak Vidyalaya, was allegedly talking and making noises in the class when the headmaster, Pabitra Sarmah, entered the classroom and began caning the boy without asking any questions, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users