Girl student dies; father alleges ragging
Jaipur: The father of a student found dead at her engineering college hostel has filed a complaint of ragging against some seniors, police said on Friday.
"The girl, Somya Singh, hailed from Patna and was a first year B-Tech engineering student at a private college in Bhankrota area here. She had been admitted to SMS Hospital here on Tuesday after she fell down from the fourth floor of her hostel," said a police officer.
The girl succumbed to injuries on Thursday night.
Her father, Mithilesh Kumar Singh, lodged a first information report with Bagaru police station saying she was ragged by seniors which led to her death, the officer said.
"He says that two senior girls had come to her fourth-floor hostel room on September 3 and made her walk on the railing. Somya informed her younger sister Tulika who also studies in the same college and the hostel warden. She also called up her father and some other relatives," the officer added.
Singh alleged that the college administration took no action against the girls responsible.
According to his complaint, the two girls again forced Somya to walk on the railing on Tuesday night. This time she fell down and was lying on the ground for half an hour before someone spotted her and rushed her to hospital.
The post-mortem was conducted on Friday, police said, adding the report is still awaited.
"The father has not identified the two girls who ragged her in his complaint. The college authorities will be questioned," the officer added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened