Gopalgarh violence: CBI questions BJP MLA
New Delhi: CBI on Monday started recording the statement of BJP MLA from Rajasthan Anita Singh in connection with the Gopalgarh violence where 10 Meo Muslims were killed in September last year.
Agency sources said Singh, assembly member from Nagar, Bharatpur, who arrived at the CBI headquarters here this morning was questioned by the officials in connection with the riots between Meo Muslims and Gurjars which took place on September 14, 2011 in Gopalgarh, agency sources said.
The agency may also record the statement of Congress MLA Zahida Khan in connection with the case, they said.
The members of Meo and the Gurjar communities clashed over the ownership of a village land in Gopalgarh, Bharatpur on September 14, 2011.
Following the CBI charge sheet filed in March, the special CBI court in Jaipur directed it to also probe the role of influential people in the region including the MLAs.
The court directed the CBI to investigate the alleged role of MLAs Zahida Khan (from Kama) and Anita Singh (from Nagar, Bharatpur), along with two other leaders of a particular community and submit a report after the counsel for both the communities pointed fingers at them during arguments today.
It was alleged that key witnesses had made statements attributing specific role to these legislators, but the CBI had not carried out investigation against them.
Taking note of the statements made by accused, the special court directed the CBI to investigate role of the two MLAs and the two other persons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city