Gulabchand Kataria calls off his yatra
Jaipur: In dramatic developments reflecting intense feud in Rajasthan BJP, Leader of the Opposition Vasundhara Raje on Friday threatened to quit the party objecting to a political campaign proposed by senior party leader Gulabchand Kataria who later decided to give up the move.
At a meeting of the state party core committee, Raje said she would resign from the party`s membership if Kataria did not withdraw his decision to take out the "Lok Jagran Yatrqa", after which Kataria announced not to go ahead with his proposed 28-day event.
At the meeting attended by senior party leaders, Raje was understood to have objected to Kataria`s plan to take out the `Yatra` which was seen by a section in BJP as Kataria`s move to project himself as the party`s chief ministerial face in assembly elections due next year.
Kataria was Rajasthan Home Minister in the previous government headed by Raje.
Raje`s supporters, including BJP general secretary and MLA Kiran Maheshwari and others, had complained to BJP central leadership about Kataria his proposed yatra, after which party chief Nitin Gadkari had called Kataria and other leaders recently and asked him to postpone the yatra till May 5 and aked the state leadership to take a decision in a core committee meeting which was held today.
Raje said party workers are always important and if they are not happy with any decision, such a decision should be dropped.
Raje told reporters before leaving the party office that she would resign from the party if Kataria did not withdraw his decision.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued