Gulabchand Kataria calls off his yatra
Jaipur: In dramatic developments reflecting intense feud in Rajasthan BJP, Leader of the Opposition Vasundhara Raje on Friday threatened to quit the party objecting to a political campaign proposed by senior party leader Gulabchand Kataria who later decided to give up the move.
At a meeting of the state party core committee, Raje said she would resign from the party`s membership if Kataria did not withdraw his decision to take out the "Lok Jagran Yatrqa", after which Kataria announced not to go ahead with his proposed 28-day event.
At the meeting attended by senior party leaders, Raje was understood to have objected to Kataria`s plan to take out the `Yatra` which was seen by a section in BJP as Kataria`s move to project himself as the party`s chief ministerial face in assembly elections due next year.
Kataria was Rajasthan Home Minister in the previous government headed by Raje.
Raje`s supporters, including BJP general secretary and MLA Kiran Maheshwari and others, had complained to BJP central leadership about Kataria his proposed yatra, after which party chief Nitin Gadkari had called Kataria and other leaders recently and asked him to postpone the yatra till May 5 and aked the state leadership to take a decision in a core committee meeting which was held today.
Raje said party workers are always important and if they are not happy with any decision, such a decision should be dropped.
Raje told reporters before leaving the party office that she would resign from the party if Kataria did not withdraw his decision.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA