HC holds Gehlot govt guilty of contempt of court
Jaipur: Holding the Ashok Gehlot government guilty of contempt of court, the Rajasthan High Court has asked state Chief Secretary S Ahmed and DoP Secretary Khemraj
to appear before it on February 27.
The matter pertains to giving seniority to general class employees, including RAS officials over Scheduled Caste, Scheduled Tribe candidates, who were given reservation and
accelerated promotions in more than 110 services of state.
The order came on two contempt petitions filed by one Babaulal and `Samta Andolan`.
The High Court had earlier in case of one Surajbhan Meena held that the government cannot give reservation in promotion to the SC and ST candidates and all such officers of Rajasthan administrative services were to be reverted but the government filed an appeal in the matter to Supreme Court, which also upheld the high court`s order.
The contempt petition was heard for almost a year and the state government issued a notification to protect the seniority and promotions given to reserved class candidates
but the division bench of Justice NK Jain and RS Rathore held it a graver contempt of court.
The bench has directed and allowed the state government three days time to comply with the order and if not complied than the chief secretary and DOP secretary have been directed
to appear in person on February 27 to hear the punishment.
It is noteworthy that a maximum of two years of imprisonment and fine or both is the provision under law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi