HC seeks AG views on contempt proceedings against officials
Jaipur: Rajasthan High Court Wednesday sought the Advocate General`s opinion on possible action it can take after finding state officials guilty of committing contempt of court during 2008 gurjar agitation for quota.
The Court was hearing the contempt petition filed by the government against Gurjar leader K S Bainsla who had led the stir.
The single bench of Justice M C Sharma had earlier issued contempt notice to former Chief Secretary D C Samant for his failure to comply with the court`s 2008 order asking the gurjar leaders not to disrupt law and order and the government to ensure its strict compliance.
Following this, government had filed the contempt petition against Bainsla and other Gurjar leaders.
The bench was of the view that while the gujjar leaders are guilty of flouting court`s order, at the same time the state government had also miserably failed to see compliance of court`s order and the entire chaos was outcome of failure of state machinery.
The bench had also asked the state government to withdraw the proceedings but the state government refused to do so.
The court today asked Advocate General G S Bapnah to frame opinion and inform it on November 5 as to what should be done by the court as it finds the officials guilty of contempt and also what were the reasons for the chaos that took place during gurjar agitation despite court`s order of peaceful demonstrations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside