HC seeks AG views on contempt proceedings against officials
Jaipur: Rajasthan High Court Wednesday sought the Advocate General`s opinion on possible action it can take after finding state officials guilty of committing contempt of court during 2008 gurjar agitation for quota.
The Court was hearing the contempt petition filed by the government against Gurjar leader K S Bainsla who had led the stir.
The single bench of Justice M C Sharma had earlier issued contempt notice to former Chief Secretary D C Samant for his failure to comply with the court`s 2008 order asking the gurjar leaders not to disrupt law and order and the government to ensure its strict compliance.
Following this, government had filed the contempt petition against Bainsla and other Gurjar leaders.
The bench was of the view that while the gujjar leaders are guilty of flouting court`s order, at the same time the state government had also miserably failed to see compliance of court`s order and the entire chaos was outcome of failure of state machinery.
The bench had also asked the state government to withdraw the proceedings but the state government refused to do so.
The court today asked Advocate General G S Bapnah to frame opinion and inform it on November 5 as to what should be done by the court as it finds the officials guilty of contempt and also what were the reasons for the chaos that took place during gurjar agitation despite court`s order of peaceful demonstrations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing