Hindu migrants from Pak meet Gehlot
Jodhpur: Some among the group of Hindu families, who arrived here on Sunday morning through Munabao from the Thar Express, Monday met Rajasthan chief minister Ashok Gehlot who assured them of taking with the Centre their case for a refugee status.
Led by Singh Sodha, President of the Seemant Lok Sangthan (SLS), a voluntary organization working for their rehabilitation, a group of some men, women and children met the chief minister at Jodhpur civil airport on Monday morning.
Gehlot, according to Sodha, assured them of taking up the issue with the central government and gave the direction to the district administration to help solve the problems of the Hindus in finding proper accommodation until a permanent solution is worked out.
He also assured them of all assistance.
Sodha said the officials of the Social Welfare department, municipal corporation and JDA have discussed the issue and "we have a meeting on Tuesday to sort out the issue as far as shelter for these migrants is concerned."
Meanwhile, social and voluntary organizations have started coming forward to extend a helping hand for the Hindu migrants.
Hindu Sewa Mandal today offered food to them.
The migrants have been accommodated in the Dali Bai temple premises with all their luggage.
"We are quite concerned about their condition, It is fine for now but things will go awry if it rains", said Sodha.
A batch of 171 Hindus today arrived here from Pakistan after a three-month long arduous journey with leader of the group saying they were seeking a refugee status in India for the sake of "self respect", religious freedom and children`s future.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan