Hindu migrants from Pak meet Gehlot
Jodhpur: Some among the group of Hindu families, who arrived here on Sunday morning through Munabao from the Thar Express, Monday met Rajasthan chief minister Ashok Gehlot who assured them of taking with the Centre their case for a refugee status.
Led by Singh Sodha, President of the Seemant Lok Sangthan (SLS), a voluntary organization working for their rehabilitation, a group of some men, women and children met the chief minister at Jodhpur civil airport on Monday morning.
Gehlot, according to Sodha, assured them of taking up the issue with the central government and gave the direction to the district administration to help solve the problems of the Hindus in finding proper accommodation until a permanent solution is worked out.
He also assured them of all assistance.
Sodha said the officials of the Social Welfare department, municipal corporation and JDA have discussed the issue and "we have a meeting on Tuesday to sort out the issue as far as shelter for these migrants is concerned."
Meanwhile, social and voluntary organizations have started coming forward to extend a helping hand for the Hindu migrants.
Hindu Sewa Mandal today offered food to them.
The migrants have been accommodated in the Dali Bai temple premises with all their luggage.
"We are quite concerned about their condition, It is fine for now but things will go awry if it rains", said Sodha.
A batch of 171 Hindus today arrived here from Pakistan after a three-month long arduous journey with leader of the group saying they were seeking a refugee status in India for the sake of "self respect", religious freedom and children`s future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand