Impartial probe into charge against Asaram Bapu on: Gehlot
New Delhi: Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot rejected suggestions that Jodhpur police are going soft on Asaram Bapu facing the charge of raping a minor and said an impartial probe into the allegation is on.
He was asked if Jodhpur police were to dilute the charges against the controversial Godman and why are not arresting him despite filing of the compliant against him.
Gehlot said the police have launched an impartial probe and they should be allowed to do their job.
Gehlot accused BJP of being adept at double standard, saying it is defending Asaram today even though it was Narendra Modi government in Gujarat which had raided his premises first.
"On one hand, people say government should not interfere in investigation and on the other hand politics is being done in Parliament and assembly by dragging us into it... Allegations have been leveled and a probe is going on. Based on evidence, the guilty would be severely punished," he said.
He played down the threats made by Asaram and his supporters of dire consequences if he is arrested.
"We live in a democracy and people are free to say what they have to... Governments are not run by threats," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- Those killed in Kashmir hadn't gone to buy milk and toffee, says Mehbooba Mufti
- Renault Kwid AMT ready in 800cc and 1.0-litre guise
- More typhoons expected in China next month
- Raghuram Rajan, Arvind Subramanian 'foisted' on India by Americans: Swamy
- Former French President Nicolas Sarkozy terms burkini as 'provocation' that supports radical Islam