Impartial probe into charge against Asaram Bapu on: Gehlot
New Delhi: Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot rejected suggestions that Jodhpur police are going soft on Asaram Bapu facing the charge of raping a minor and said an impartial probe into the allegation is on.
He was asked if Jodhpur police were to dilute the charges against the controversial Godman and why are not arresting him despite filing of the compliant against him.
Gehlot said the police have launched an impartial probe and they should be allowed to do their job.
Gehlot accused BJP of being adept at double standard, saying it is defending Asaram today even though it was Narendra Modi government in Gujarat which had raided his premises first.
"On one hand, people say government should not interfere in investigation and on the other hand politics is being done in Parliament and assembly by dragging us into it... Allegations have been leveled and a probe is going on. Based on evidence, the guilty would be severely punished," he said.
He played down the threats made by Asaram and his supporters of dire consequences if he is arrested.
"We live in a democracy and people are free to say what they have to... Governments are not run by threats," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic