Impartial probe into charge against Asaram Bapu on: Gehlot
New Delhi: Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot rejected suggestions that Jodhpur police are going soft on Asaram Bapu facing the charge of raping a minor and said an impartial probe into the allegation is on.
He was asked if Jodhpur police were to dilute the charges against the controversial Godman and why are not arresting him despite filing of the compliant against him.
Gehlot said the police have launched an impartial probe and they should be allowed to do their job.
Gehlot accused BJP of being adept at double standard, saying it is defending Asaram today even though it was Narendra Modi government in Gujarat which had raided his premises first.
"On one hand, people say government should not interfere in investigation and on the other hand politics is being done in Parliament and assembly by dragging us into it... Allegations have been leveled and a probe is going on. Based on evidence, the guilty would be severely punished," he said.
He played down the threats made by Asaram and his supporters of dire consequences if he is arrested.
"We live in a democracy and people are free to say what they have to... Governments are not run by threats," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read