Infant suffers ant bites in govt hospital, probe ordered
Jodhpur: Parents of a prematurely-born girl on Friday alleged that she was bitten on her eye by ants in the ward of a state-run hospital here, prompting authorities to order an inquiry into the matter.
The girl`s father also alleged that the staff of Umaid Hospital did not attend to the child when they were intimated about the matter.
Principal of S N Medical College and Controller of Umaid Hospital Arvind Mathur, however, ruled out the possibility that the baby, born in the seventh month of pregnancy and brought at the hospital on April 10, was bitten by the ants.
Mathur also denied any negligence on part of the hospital authorities, saying a committee has been constituted to investigate the charges.
"We have constituted a committee of doctors for finding out the fact. The panel will submit its report in two days," he said.
Mohan, the father of the infant, alleged that when they called up the medical staff after noting bite marks on her eye, none came for assistance.
Meanwhile, Hospital Superintendent Narendra Chhangani also denied the charges, saying the baby was constantly under observation and even family members were with her.
"It is just an apprehension of the family members, who had a meal on the bed and the leftover might have attracted ants," Chhangani said.
"Sometimes, infants hurt themselves with their nails and such a possibility cannot be ruled out in this case," he said.
Pest menace was reported in the hospital earlier also and in 2010, two resident doctors and a nurse were suspended when an infant died after being nibbled by rodents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?