Infant suffers ant bites in govt hospital, probe ordered
Jodhpur: Parents of a prematurely-born girl on Friday alleged that she was bitten on her eye by ants in the ward of a state-run hospital here, prompting authorities to order an inquiry into the matter.
The girl`s father also alleged that the staff of Umaid Hospital did not attend to the child when they were intimated about the matter.
Principal of S N Medical College and Controller of Umaid Hospital Arvind Mathur, however, ruled out the possibility that the baby, born in the seventh month of pregnancy and brought at the hospital on April 10, was bitten by the ants.
Mathur also denied any negligence on part of the hospital authorities, saying a committee has been constituted to investigate the charges.
"We have constituted a committee of doctors for finding out the fact. The panel will submit its report in two days," he said.
Mohan, the father of the infant, alleged that when they called up the medical staff after noting bite marks on her eye, none came for assistance.
Meanwhile, Hospital Superintendent Narendra Chhangani also denied the charges, saying the baby was constantly under observation and even family members were with her.
"It is just an apprehension of the family members, who had a meal on the bed and the leftover might have attracted ants," Chhangani said.
"Sometimes, infants hurt themselves with their nails and such a possibility cannot be ruled out in this case," he said.
Pest menace was reported in the hospital earlier also and in 2010, two resident doctors and a nurse were suspended when an infant died after being nibbled by rodents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH