Infant suffers ant bites in govt hospital, probe ordered
Jodhpur: Parents of a prematurely-born girl on Friday alleged that she was bitten on her eye by ants in the ward of a state-run hospital here, prompting authorities to order an inquiry into the matter.
The girl`s father also alleged that the staff of Umaid Hospital did not attend to the child when they were intimated about the matter.
Principal of S N Medical College and Controller of Umaid Hospital Arvind Mathur, however, ruled out the possibility that the baby, born in the seventh month of pregnancy and brought at the hospital on April 10, was bitten by the ants.
Mathur also denied any negligence on part of the hospital authorities, saying a committee has been constituted to investigate the charges.
"We have constituted a committee of doctors for finding out the fact. The panel will submit its report in two days," he said.
Mohan, the father of the infant, alleged that when they called up the medical staff after noting bite marks on her eye, none came for assistance.
Meanwhile, Hospital Superintendent Narendra Chhangani also denied the charges, saying the baby was constantly under observation and even family members were with her.
"It is just an apprehension of the family members, who had a meal on the bed and the leftover might have attracted ants," Chhangani said.
"Sometimes, infants hurt themselves with their nails and such a possibility cannot be ruled out in this case," he said.
Pest menace was reported in the hospital earlier also and in 2010, two resident doctors and a nurse were suspended when an infant died after being nibbled by rodents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India