IPS officer, ASI remanded in judicial custody
Jaipur: IPS officer Ajay Singh and Assistant Sub-Inspector Prem Singh, arrested for allegedly demanding bribe, were on Friday remanded in judicial custody till June 30.
They were produced before the Additional District Judge Umashankar in Ajmer, who send them to 8 days in judicial custody.
Ajay, a 2009-batch IPS officer, was arrested yesterday by the Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) while on run to escape arrest. He was fleeing to his hometown in Bharatpur district from Ajmer.
One Bhawani Singh had lodged a complaint with the ACB in Ajmer that Assistant Sub Inspector Prem Singh posted with Ramganj police station was demanding bribe from him for shielding him in a criminal case.
The IPS officer was investigating a case of fraud by a marketing company and five persons were arrested in connection with that case in Ajmer.
The ASI told the ACB team that the IPS officer pressurised him to demand Rs 2 lakh as bribe from Bhawani for not making him an accused in the case, police claimed.
"One Bhanwani Singh, an agent of a multi-level marketing company, gave us complaint against the Assistant SP Ajay Singh and ASI Prem Singh on March 14. Since then, we were collecting evidences against them," ACB source said.
"During verification of the complaint, it was found that the IPS officer and the ASI planned to extort money from Bhawani Singh and they threatened him to implicate him a fraud case being probed under the supervision of IPS officer.
"Yesterday, when the complainant gave him Rs 1 lakh, the ASI called Ajay Singh and said that he has received only Rs 70,000 and sought his directions, so the IPS officer asked him to keep the money. During this, we trapped the ASI," the sources said.
As soon as he received information that the ASI has been trapped, the IPS officer, who was posted in Ajmer since October last year, left for his home town.
He was on his way to Bharatpur with his brother Hemant in a car but the Jaipur police, on information by the ACB team, stopped the vehicle at Kanota in Jaipur district and also recovered 24 bottles of illicit Indian Made Foreign Liquor.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference