IPS officer, ASI remanded in judicial custody
Jaipur: IPS officer Ajay Singh and Assistant Sub-Inspector Prem Singh, arrested for allegedly demanding bribe, were on Friday remanded in judicial custody till June 30.
They were produced before the Additional District Judge Umashankar in Ajmer, who send them to 8 days in judicial custody.
Ajay, a 2009-batch IPS officer, was arrested yesterday by the Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) while on run to escape arrest. He was fleeing to his hometown in Bharatpur district from Ajmer.
One Bhawani Singh had lodged a complaint with the ACB in Ajmer that Assistant Sub Inspector Prem Singh posted with Ramganj police station was demanding bribe from him for shielding him in a criminal case.
The IPS officer was investigating a case of fraud by a marketing company and five persons were arrested in connection with that case in Ajmer.
The ASI told the ACB team that the IPS officer pressurised him to demand Rs 2 lakh as bribe from Bhawani for not making him an accused in the case, police claimed.
"One Bhanwani Singh, an agent of a multi-level marketing company, gave us complaint against the Assistant SP Ajay Singh and ASI Prem Singh on March 14. Since then, we were collecting evidences against them," ACB source said.
"During verification of the complaint, it was found that the IPS officer and the ASI planned to extort money from Bhawani Singh and they threatened him to implicate him a fraud case being probed under the supervision of IPS officer.
"Yesterday, when the complainant gave him Rs 1 lakh, the ASI called Ajay Singh and said that he has received only Rs 70,000 and sought his directions, so the IPS officer asked him to keep the money. During this, we trapped the ASI," the sources said.
As soon as he received information that the ASI has been trapped, the IPS officer, who was posted in Ajmer since October last year, left for his home town.
He was on his way to Bharatpur with his brother Hemant in a car but the Jaipur police, on information by the ACB team, stopped the vehicle at Kanota in Jaipur district and also recovered 24 bottles of illicit Indian Made Foreign Liquor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city