IPS officer to be tried in Dara encounter case
Jaipur: Decks were on Tuesday cleared for the trial of suspended IPS officer A K Jain in the 2006 Dara Singh fake encounter killing case, with a Rajasthan court framing charges against him for offences of murder, kidnapping, criminal conspiracy among others.
District and Sessions Judge PC Jain read the charges to A K Jain who pleaded not guilty and sought trial.
59-year-old Jain, who was absconding since the CBI filed a charge sheet against him last June accusing him of masterminding the fake encounter killing of liquor smuggler Dara Singh, had surrendered on February 27.
Jain, who was SP in special operation group in 2006 when the killing took place, has been charged under 302 (murder), 364 (kidnapping), 346 (wrongful confinement), 218 (public servant framing incorrect record), 193 (giving false evidence in any stage of a judicial proceeding), and 120 B (criminal conspiracy) of IPC.
There are a total 16 accused in the case. On April 24, a special CBI court had asked BJP legislator Rajendra Singh Rathore to face trial in connection with the case.
It was alleged that Rathore masterminded the fake encounter in order to support a group of gangsters that was running a liquor mafia as Dara was a considered a threat to them.
The CBI had alleged that Dara Singh was taken into illegal custody by SOG officials from Jaipur Airport and was taken to a lonely place near Amber where he was kept hostage till October 23, 2006 and killed in a planned manner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly