Jaipur autos, taxis to get GPS
Jaipur: Auto rickshaws and taxis in this Rajasthan capital city, a hot tourist destination, will now have GPS trackers installed in them.
The Rajasthan Transport Department and the state police have geared up to install Geo Positioning System (GPS) in auto rickshaws and taxis.
The system will enable the authorities to track the autos and control their operations as well.
According to a senior transport department official, the blueprint has been prepared for installation of GPS in all autos. The new system will start from Jaipur and later on it will be implemented in other cities like Jodhpur and Kota.
The Traffic Control Board comprising officials from police, transport department and Jaipur Development Authority (JDA) has given its approval for implementation of GPS.
The department has identified the kind of GPS which will be used in the state. The Pink city has over 12,000 autos and there will one control room.
"There are many companies in the country which manufacture, market and install GPS in autos and taxis. The department will soon start process of inviting expression of interest for this project," the official said.
"We hope that the GPS in all autos here will be installed soon as we have all approval and only the process has to be started," he added.
Many states including the national capital Delhi have implemented GPS in autos and others have also initiated the process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy