Jaipur autos, taxis to get GPS
Jaipur: Auto rickshaws and taxis in this Rajasthan capital city, a hot tourist destination, will now have GPS trackers installed in them.
The Rajasthan Transport Department and the state police have geared up to install Geo Positioning System (GPS) in auto rickshaws and taxis.
The system will enable the authorities to track the autos and control their operations as well.
According to a senior transport department official, the blueprint has been prepared for installation of GPS in all autos. The new system will start from Jaipur and later on it will be implemented in other cities like Jodhpur and Kota.
The Traffic Control Board comprising officials from police, transport department and Jaipur Development Authority (JDA) has given its approval for implementation of GPS.
The department has identified the kind of GPS which will be used in the state. The Pink city has over 12,000 autos and there will one control room.
"There are many companies in the country which manufacture, market and install GPS in autos and taxis. The department will soon start process of inviting expression of interest for this project," the official said.
"We hope that the GPS in all autos here will be installed soon as we have all approval and only the process has to be started," he added.
Many states including the national capital Delhi have implemented GPS in autos and others have also initiated the process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know