Jaipur: Body of newborn girl found surrounded by dogs
Jodhpur: Body of a newborn girl, surrounded by dogs who were trying to feast on it, was on Saturday found in a garbage dump behind the Umaid Hospital here.
Police found the body inside the garbage pile after by-passers, who also claimed to have spotted two bodies of infants, informed them.
Police have, however, denied the two infants theory and claimed that there was only one infant and that was a girl.
"We received information at about 9.30 am that there was a dead infant lying on a heap of garbage," said Investigating Officer (IO) Pabba Ram,
We rushed to the spot and found the people surrounding a dead infant girl behind the Umaid Hospital, said the officer.
Police have registered a case and handed over the body to Hindu Sewa Mandal for her cremation after postmortem, he said.
It is a matter of investigation whether the infant was born in the hospital or somebody else from outside dropped it there, the IO said.
We will inquire from the hospital to find out if the infant was born there, Ram said.
If yes, the police will also check for the involvement of any staff of the hospital.
But he has not ruled out the possibility of the infant being dropped there from some outsider.
"We also have to see if the infant was alive when dropped," the police officer said.
According to eye-witnesses, dogs had already devoured one of these infants whereas the other one was spotted before the canines could harm it, said one of the eye witness.
An eye witness said that they had seen the dogs running with an infant to elsewhere and when they rushed there, they found some blood scattered there.
I was just passing by when I saw some dogs on the heap of garbage, when I got closer after shoeing away the dogs, I found a dead girl infant and immediately informed the police, he said.
Whatever be the case, but it is a major setback to the efforts of the government and various social organisations who have been invariably been emphasising the acceptance of the girl child.
In 2009, a new-born child had died after being bitten by a rat in the natal ward of the same hospital. This led to the suspension of two doctors and a nurse.
Bollywood actor Aamir Khan had on May 9 met Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot over the issue of female foeticide. The issue was raised in the first episode of his television show `Satyamev Jayate`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead