Jaipur Police Commissioner transferred, lawyers call off stir
Jaipur: Rajasthan government Friday night transferred Jaipur police commissioner B L Soni as director of Police Academy, Jaipur, in a bid to pacify lawyers, who are on strike since last week protesting police action on them.
The lawyers called off their strike tonight after a meeting between government officials, Bar Council of India members and representatives of agitating lawyers as an understanding was reached on their 5-point charter of demands.
Government spokesperson said all the lawyers in the city will return to work from tomorrow.
Assistant Police Commissioner Biju George Joseph will hold Soni`s post till further orders, the spokesperson said.
According to sources, senior police officer posted in the commissionerate Raghuveer Saini has been transferred to Discom, Jaipur, and police officers Yogesh Yadav, Narayan Lal and Ravi have been posted in police commisionerate here.
Agititating lawyers had been demanding that Soni and police officers at the spot, when they were baton charged on March 6 while peacefully protesting for better remuneration, should be suspended from their duties.
The lawyers have also been demanding better remuneration, cheaper accommodation among other demands.
Violent protests had erupted after the agitating lawyers were baton charged by police when they tried to march towards Rajasthan Assembly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof