Jaipur Police Commissioner transferred, lawyers call off stir
Jaipur: Rajasthan government Friday night transferred Jaipur police commissioner B L Soni as director of Police Academy, Jaipur, in a bid to pacify lawyers, who are on strike since last week protesting police action on them.
The lawyers called off their strike tonight after a meeting between government officials, Bar Council of India members and representatives of agitating lawyers as an understanding was reached on their 5-point charter of demands.
Government spokesperson said all the lawyers in the city will return to work from tomorrow.
Assistant Police Commissioner Biju George Joseph will hold Soni`s post till further orders, the spokesperson said.
According to sources, senior police officer posted in the commissionerate Raghuveer Saini has been transferred to Discom, Jaipur, and police officers Yogesh Yadav, Narayan Lal and Ravi have been posted in police commisionerate here.
Agititating lawyers had been demanding that Soni and police officers at the spot, when they were baton charged on March 6 while peacefully protesting for better remuneration, should be suspended from their duties.
The lawyers have also been demanding better remuneration, cheaper accommodation among other demands.
Violent protests had erupted after the agitating lawyers were baton charged by police when they tried to march towards Rajasthan Assembly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India