Jaipur Police Commissioner transferred, lawyers call off stir
Jaipur: Rajasthan government Friday night transferred Jaipur police commissioner B L Soni as director of Police Academy, Jaipur, in a bid to pacify lawyers, who are on strike since last week protesting police action on them.
The lawyers called off their strike tonight after a meeting between government officials, Bar Council of India members and representatives of agitating lawyers as an understanding was reached on their 5-point charter of demands.
Government spokesperson said all the lawyers in the city will return to work from tomorrow.
Assistant Police Commissioner Biju George Joseph will hold Soni`s post till further orders, the spokesperson said.
According to sources, senior police officer posted in the commissionerate Raghuveer Saini has been transferred to Discom, Jaipur, and police officers Yogesh Yadav, Narayan Lal and Ravi have been posted in police commisionerate here.
Agititating lawyers had been demanding that Soni and police officers at the spot, when they were baton charged on March 6 while peacefully protesting for better remuneration, should be suspended from their duties.
The lawyers have also been demanding better remuneration, cheaper accommodation among other demands.
Violent protests had erupted after the agitating lawyers were baton charged by police when they tried to march towards Rajasthan Assembly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'