Jaipur shocker: ‘They dumped my wife like garbage`
Zee Media Bureau
Jaipur: Kanhaiya Lal Raiger, the man who lost his wife and an infant daughter in a fatal accident inside a Jaipur tunnel, on Tuesday spoke about the callous indifference of the passer-bys and the insensitive attitude of the policemen who attended him.
Speaking to a TV news channel, Raiger said, “The police arranged for a pick-up van, not an ambulance, and threw my wife into it like garbage and then took us to hospital.
Sharing the details of the harrowing tragedy, which his family met yesterday, Raiger said that it took 20 minutes for the police to reach the accident site.
However, by the time the policemen reached him, Raiger’s 26-year-old wife and eight-month old daughter had died.
The two could have been saved had they got timely help, he regretted.
Raiger’s tragic story made international headlines when he was caught on camera pleading for help, holding onto his young son as traffic streamed past him, after his bike collided with a speeding truck inside Ghat ki Guni tunnel.
Speaking about his four-year-old son who survived in the accident, Raiger said, “He has been wailing for his mother.”
Taking note of the accident, the National Commission for Women (NCW) blamed the company that manages the tunnel and operates a control room where security cameras are monitored for not doing enough to save the victims.
"People in the CCTV control room didn`t inform the police...If she had been given medical attention on time she (Mr Raiger`s wife) would have been saved," NCW chairperson Mamta Sharma said.
The truck that hit the family was found abandoned, the police said.
The tunnel, nearly two kilometres long, was inaugurated by the Prime Minister in January. It links Jaipur to a major national highway leading to Agra.
Raiger is a resident of Thikariyawas village situated on Ajmer Road,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore