Jaipur shocker: ‘They dumped my wife like garbage`
Zee Media Bureau
Jaipur: Kanhaiya Lal Raiger, the man who lost his wife and an infant daughter in a fatal accident inside a Jaipur tunnel, on Tuesday spoke about the callous indifference of the passer-bys and the insensitive attitude of the policemen who attended him.
Speaking to a TV news channel, Raiger said, “The police arranged for a pick-up van, not an ambulance, and threw my wife into it like garbage and then took us to hospital.
Sharing the details of the harrowing tragedy, which his family met yesterday, Raiger said that it took 20 minutes for the police to reach the accident site.
However, by the time the policemen reached him, Raiger’s 26-year-old wife and eight-month old daughter had died.
The two could have been saved had they got timely help, he regretted.
Raiger’s tragic story made international headlines when he was caught on camera pleading for help, holding onto his young son as traffic streamed past him, after his bike collided with a speeding truck inside Ghat ki Guni tunnel.
Speaking about his four-year-old son who survived in the accident, Raiger said, “He has been wailing for his mother.”
Taking note of the accident, the National Commission for Women (NCW) blamed the company that manages the tunnel and operates a control room where security cameras are monitored for not doing enough to save the victims.
"People in the CCTV control room didn`t inform the police...If she had been given medical attention on time she (Mr Raiger`s wife) would have been saved," NCW chairperson Mamta Sharma said.
The truck that hit the family was found abandoned, the police said.
The tunnel, nearly two kilometres long, was inaugurated by the Prime Minister in January. It links Jaipur to a major national highway leading to Agra.
Raiger is a resident of Thikariyawas village situated on Ajmer Road,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- 'Can you spare USD10 to help elect a billionaire?' - Trump emails
- 'Narasimha Rao's pro Hindu mindset led to Babri mosque demolition'
- Brexit: Germany, France, Italy vow `new impulse` for European Union
- Euro 2016: Holders Spain knocked out by Italy in last 16
- 19 dead in bomb attacks on ex-Qaeda bastion in Yemen