Jodhpur hospital deaths: Two employees suspended
Jaipur: Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot on Sunday suspended two employees of the government-run Umaid Hospital in Jodhpur where 13 women have died of excessive bleeding during childbirth allegedly after being administered contaminated IV fluids.
Gehlot summoned senior medical and health department officers to his residence at 2.00 am on Sunday, seeking an explanation on the deaths.
He ordered that Madhya Pradesh`s Indore-based IV fluids manufacturing companies, Parental Surgical India Pvt Ltd and Anshul Pharma, be blacklisted immediately.
He also announced an enquiry by Jodhpur`s divisional commissioner into the deaths and announced an ex-gratia of Rs 5 lakh to the family members of each of the deceased.
Meanwhile, the toll went up to 13 Saturday afternoon with the death of Bhawana Dharu, who was admitted at Mahatma Gandhi Hospital`s intensive care unit since on February 20. She was earlier administered IV fluids at Umaid Hospital. Her family members refused to take her body for three hours, accusing the hospital administration of callousness.
"The chief minister has ordered suspension of drug inspector and storekeeper of Umaid Hospital. He has asked the divisional magistrate to give him a report on the deaths in 15 days. By then, a report of the Central Drugs Laboratory, Kolkata will also arrive. Further action will be taken in the matter after that," said a senior medical and health department officer.
The chief minister has also handed over the police probe into the FIR lodged by Umaid Hospital superintendent to an additional superintendent of police rank officer.
The meeting was attended by Minister of State for Health Rajkumar Sharma, Chief Secretary S Ahmed, Additional Chief Secretary (finance) CK Mathew and Principal Secretary (medical and health) BN Sharma, among others.
Meanwhile, the condition of four women who were administered the IV fluids during childbirth is still critical. They are admitted in the intensive care units of Umaid Hospital and Mahatma Gandhi Hospital and are under observation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’