Jodhpur liquor toll rises to five
Jodhpur: With the death of three more persons, the toll in the hooch tragedy here shot up to five on Wednesday, even as the police conducted a series of raids and arrested two men for alleged illegal sale of liquor.
According to hospital sources, while three persons have died, two more are admitted in the ICU and four in the medical ward of the MDM Hospital.
Police and the Excise Department have swung into action after the tragedy struck Sangaria, an industrial area of the city, yesterday. Police said two persons have been arrested for selling liquor "illegally" and a huge quantity of liquor (both foreign and country-made), empty bottles and packing material have been seized.
Besides this, a large quantity of country-made liquor were destroyed some areas.
Two persons had died yesterday after consuming alleged spurious liquor at a `dhaba` in Indra Colony in Sangaria.
The post-mortem report of the dead has confirmed consumption of liquor but whether it was poisonous or not will be confirmed only after viscera reports come, police said.
Most of these persons belong to Gadia Lohar tribe settled in the locality and are labourers at the factories nearby.
Local residents allege that cheap liquor is freely available on these street `dhabas` despite a ban on sale of liquor after 8 pm. They also allege that traders are in connivance with some police and excise officials.
The opposition BJP has demanded suitable relief to the victims` families apart from an effective ban of the sale of liquor after 8 pm.
The district administration has already released a relief of Rs 20,000 for next of kin of the deceased.
District Magistrate Siddharth Mahajan said that of these five, two are locals, who have been given the relief amount and one of them belonged to Nagaur district and out of the rest, one each is from Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal.
The relief amount will be sent to the respective places after the identification of their kin, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Check uaresults.nic.in for Uttarakhand Board Class 12 result 2015