Jodhpur pregnancy deaths: Toll rises to 16
Jodhpur: A woman who had delivered a child at the government-run Umaid Hospital here last month died due to excessive bleeding Sunday, taking the toll of pregnancy-related deaths at the hospital to 16, an official said.
"Prem Kanwar had been referred to our hospital after her delivery at Umaid Hospital one-and-a-half months ago. Her condition became serious due to excessive bleeding," a doctor at the Mahatma Gandhi Hospital said to a news agency.
She was put on ventilator for the last few days, he added.
"We have ordered an enquiry. The post-mortem has been also conducted and the cause of the death would only be known after the report is received," a police officer said.
Earlier, Prem`s family refused to accept the body and demanded an investigation into her death.
"Prem was killed due to hospital`s negligence. We want action against responsible doctors," said Shankar, one of her relatives.
Since the second week of February, 16 pregnant women have died of excessive bleeding at Umaid Hospital here after they were allegedly administered contaminated IV fluids.
The hospital administration had lodged a first information report against the Indore-based firm which manufactured the fluids, following which its quality control manager Sanjay Shah was arrested.
However, the autopsy report of one of the women March 10 said infection was the cause of her death.
A report prepared by a team of doctors from SMS Hospital in Jaipur had also said the deaths could be because of hospital-generated infection.
A team of doctors from the Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) in Chandigarh is scheduled to arrive here in the next few days to probe the matter further.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal