Kota: 18 fall ill after ammonia leak
Kota: Around 20 people fell ill, Tuesday, after ammonia gas accidentally leaked from a cold storage in the city.
As per reports, ammonia gas leak from Chitresh Cold Storage located in Bharkheda came to light at around 11.30 am yesterday night, after people living in the vicinity started to complain of burning sensation in eyes and discomfort.
One by one around 18 people fell unconsciousness and were rushed to the hospital. Two more people got injured when a wall around the factory collapsed on a hutment.
District authorities evacuated the entire area and called in experts to access the situation and plug the leak.
Ammonia gas is produced when hydrogen is heated to a specific temperature. Its industrial use come from its property of being very cold in nature, thereby finding use in cold storages, refrigerators etc.
Only 25 ppm of ammonia is considered toxic as it directly affects the lungs; over exposure may lead to the cessation of breathing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Land of believers! Out of 1.2 billion people, only 33,000 are atheists in India
- Hafiz Saeed is overseeing attacks by ISIS fighters in Afghanistan?
- Blackbuck poaching case: Rajasthan government may appeal against Salman Khan's acquittal
- 'Michael Jackson died a vulnerable man'
- Kunis, Kutcher bought wedding rings on e-commerce site