Kota: 18 fall ill after ammonia leak
Kota: Around 20 people fell ill, Tuesday, after ammonia gas accidentally leaked from a cold storage in the city.
As per reports, ammonia gas leak from Chitresh Cold Storage located in Bharkheda came to light at around 11.30 am yesterday night, after people living in the vicinity started to complain of burning sensation in eyes and discomfort.
One by one around 18 people fell unconsciousness and were rushed to the hospital. Two more people got injured when a wall around the factory collapsed on a hutment.
District authorities evacuated the entire area and called in experts to access the situation and plug the leak.
Ammonia gas is produced when hydrogen is heated to a specific temperature. Its industrial use come from its property of being very cold in nature, thereby finding use in cold storages, refrigerators etc.
Only 25 ppm of ammonia is considered toxic as it directly affects the lungs; over exposure may lead to the cessation of breathing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Madhya Pradesh assembly to consider GST Bill today
- Rohith Vemula suicide case: Hyderabad V-C can't be held responsible, concludes HRD probe panel
- Saradha scam: ED summons P Chidambaram's wife Nalini
- Half the town is gone, says Amatrice mayor as 6.2-magnitude earthquake strikes central Italy; toll rises to 14
- Katrina Kaif and Varun Dhawan to go dancing in 'ABCD 3'?