Kota: 18 fall ill after ammonia leak
Kota: Around 20 people fell ill, Tuesday, after ammonia gas accidentally leaked from a cold storage in the city.
As per reports, ammonia gas leak from Chitresh Cold Storage located in Bharkheda came to light at around 11.30 am yesterday night, after people living in the vicinity started to complain of burning sensation in eyes and discomfort.
One by one around 18 people fell unconsciousness and were rushed to the hospital. Two more people got injured when a wall around the factory collapsed on a hutment.
District authorities evacuated the entire area and called in experts to access the situation and plug the leak.
Ammonia gas is produced when hydrogen is heated to a specific temperature. Its industrial use come from its property of being very cold in nature, thereby finding use in cold storages, refrigerators etc.
Only 25 ppm of ammonia is considered toxic as it directly affects the lungs; over exposure may lead to the cessation of breathing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre