Kota: 18 fall ill after ammonia leak
Kota: Around 20 people fell ill, Tuesday, after ammonia gas accidentally leaked from a cold storage in the city.
As per reports, ammonia gas leak from Chitresh Cold Storage located in Bharkheda came to light at around 11.30 am yesterday night, after people living in the vicinity started to complain of burning sensation in eyes and discomfort.
One by one around 18 people fell unconsciousness and were rushed to the hospital. Two more people got injured when a wall around the factory collapsed on a hutment.
District authorities evacuated the entire area and called in experts to access the situation and plug the leak.
Ammonia gas is produced when hydrogen is heated to a specific temperature. Its industrial use come from its property of being very cold in nature, thereby finding use in cold storages, refrigerators etc.
Only 25 ppm of ammonia is considered toxic as it directly affects the lungs; over exposure may lead to the cessation of breathing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees