‘Land Acquisition Bill violates tribal rights’
Udaipur: CPI(M) politburo member Brinda
Karat on Friday said the land acquisition bill, pending before the
standing committee, violates the constitutional rights of
"There are several clauses in the land acquisition,
rehabilitation and resettlement bill which violate the
constitutional rights of tribals," she said.
Karat, who is in Udaipur to participate in a meeting of
tribal body Adivasi Adhikar Rashtriya Manch, said, "The Union
government has betrayed tribals by continuously sabotaging the
Forest Rights Act."
She said the agreement over Reduced Emissions from
Deforestation and Degradation (REDD) a global regime to
protect forests is creating livelihood issues for tribals
As per the programme, the government is forcibly planting
trees on community lands and on the land of the tribals.
On the climate change talks in Durban in which India is
taking lead, Karat said, "Did the government ever consult the
adivasis, who are the real owners of the forests? This shows
the attitude of the government."
On the government`s decision to allow FDI in retail, she
said the move will "snatch jobs and livelihood sources from
crores of people."
On Trinamool Congress rule in West Bengal, Karat said
democracy has been replaced by bureaucracy and autocracy in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued