Law Comm holds meeting with Raj DGP on IPC sec 498-A misuse
Jaipur: The Law Commission on Friday held a
meeting with Rajasthan DGP and other top officials here to
gather suggestions to prevent the misuse of Section 498-A of
IPC, which allows police to arrest husband and in-laws of a
woman for subjecting her to cruelty.
Justice Shiv Kumar Sharma, a member of Law commission,
held the deliberations with the DGP, NGOs, stake holders and
The move came after Union Minister for Law and Justice M
Veerappa Moily had voiced concern on the misuse of the
provision during a meeting of the Law Commission of India on
"The offence of cruelty including cases of dowry
harassment are presently non-bailable offence under section
498-A of IPC and there has been an crying demand from various
corners to make amendment in the provision.
Meeting has been
held with various stake holders and the coordination officer
will now compile the data for the commission," Justice Sharma
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why