Lawyers clash with police in Jaipur, govt justifies crack down
Jaipur: Agitating lawyers today clashed with police and went on a rampage torching a vehicle and vandalising a check post to protest against yesterday`s police action against them during a march to the Rajasthan Assembly.
DCP Mahendra Singh was injured as the protesters pelted stones and fought pitched battles with the police, which used batons and tear gas shells to disperse them.
"The lawyers pelted stones at police from sessions court building and collectorate building around noon. They burnt a police van and vandalise a police chowky in the collectorate building," Additional Commissioner of police Biju George Joseph said.
"In the heavy stone pelting, DCP, North, Mahendra Singh received head injury," he said, adding "police had to resort to lathicharge and tear gas shells were lobbed to control the tense situation".
The lawyers are on an indefinite strike from today against yesterday`s police action which left 30 advocates injured when the protesters were marching near the state legislative building to press their demands including a monthly stipend for new practising lawyer for a period of five years and housing scheme.
Security personnel were deployed in strength in the area to control the situation even as lawyers claimed that a large number of their colleague were "hiding" in the session court building and the nearby collectorate building to escape police action.
Even as violence erupted outside for the second day, the issue was raised in the Assembly with the opposition demanding suspension of police officials and lodging of FIR against them for the crackdown on lawyers but the Rajasthan government justified the police action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened