Lawyers clash with police in Jaipur, govt justifies crack down
Jaipur: Agitating lawyers today clashed with police and went on a rampage torching a vehicle and vandalising a check post to protest against yesterday`s police action against them during a march to the Rajasthan Assembly.
DCP Mahendra Singh was injured as the protesters pelted stones and fought pitched battles with the police, which used batons and tear gas shells to disperse them.
"The lawyers pelted stones at police from sessions court building and collectorate building around noon. They burnt a police van and vandalise a police chowky in the collectorate building," Additional Commissioner of police Biju George Joseph said.
"In the heavy stone pelting, DCP, North, Mahendra Singh received head injury," he said, adding "police had to resort to lathicharge and tear gas shells were lobbed to control the tense situation".
The lawyers are on an indefinite strike from today against yesterday`s police action which left 30 advocates injured when the protesters were marching near the state legislative building to press their demands including a monthly stipend for new practising lawyer for a period of five years and housing scheme.
Security personnel were deployed in strength in the area to control the situation even as lawyers claimed that a large number of their colleague were "hiding" in the session court building and the nearby collectorate building to escape police action.
Even as violence erupted outside for the second day, the issue was raised in the Assembly with the opposition demanding suspension of police officials and lodging of FIR against them for the crackdown on lawyers but the Rajasthan government justified the police action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad