Lawyers take out silent march in Rajasthan
Jaipur: Advocates took out a silent march and staged a dharna on Tuesday at Ahinsa circle here against last week`s lathi charge by police on them, when they were moving towards the state Assembly during their agitation for better re-numeration.
"Around 5000 advocates of lower and high court took the rallies from respective courts to the nearby Ahinsa circle and staged a brief and silent dharna and thereafter returned to the courts," Rajkumar Sharma, General Secretary of Advocates` Sangharsh samiti said.
"The brutal lathi charge on lawyers was unfortunate and we demand action against police officers," he said.
Police said that the march today was peaceful.
Several advocates as well as policemen were injured in clashes which broke out on March 6 and 7.
Thousands of advocates marched towards the assembly building on March 6 when chief minister was presenting the state budget to raise their demands, including stipend for new practising advocates and a housing scheme,.
The clashes broke out when police tried to prevent them from advancing towards the legislative building which left around 50 including both advocates and police injured.
Next day on March 7, the lawyers went on rampage and burnt a police van and vandalised a police outpost which resulted in another clash between the police and the advocates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing