Maha govt worried over skewed sex ratio in Beed; meet on May 20
Mumbai: Concerned over the growing incidence
of female infanticide in state`s Marathwada region and Beed
district in particular, the Maharashtra government has
convened a meeting on May 20 of all concerned officials in
Beed to discuss crackdown on irregular activities.
Beed has the lowest male-female sex ratio in the age
group of 0-6 years (801 as against 1000 male children) as
per the 2011 census.
Maharashtra`s sex ratio in the age group of 0-6 years
is 883 girls as against 1000 boys.
"Child ratio has decreased by 30 points from 2001. The
maximum decline is in Beed district (93 points) and minimum
decline is in Gadchiroli is by 10 points. The child sex ratio
has seen meagre increase in Satara, Kolhapur, Sangli and
Chandrapur," Health Minister Suresh Shetty said.
Shetty said he has convened a meeting
of district collectors of all the eight districts in
Marathwada, 2 IGs, divisional commissioners, civil surgeons,
Medical officers of municipal corporations to discuss the
present situation in the region and how effective
implementation of existing laws can be taken to stop female
"Regular inspection of sonography centres and other
illegal activities where the sex of the unborn child is
informed to the parents can be done under the leadership of
the district collectors. Efficient handling of the issue by
district collectors in Nanded, Sangli and Kolhapur have
yielded good results," Shetty said.
According to him, district collectors in these three
districts have taken swift action when they come to know of
illegal activities taking place.
He said so far 148 cases have been filed in the court
regarding violations of the Pre Conception and pre natal
diagnostic techniques (prohibition of sex selection) act of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- VIDEO: When helicopter shot came to haunt Team India and skipper MS Dhoni himself