Mandor residents worship the Ravana of good times
Jodhpur: If you want to see the burning of Ravana`s effigy on Dussehra, don`t head for Mandor in this city where the mythological demon king is worshipped by people.
As legend goes, Ravana was married to Mandodari, daughter of the king of Mandawar, known as Mandor now, a picturesque garden town about 11 km from the city.
After the wedding, some of his relatives are said to have stayed here.
At first, Ravana was worshipped by people in their homes but in 2008, a temple was constructed and his statue invoking lord Shiva installed. The six-and-a-half-feet tall Ravana statue, made of Jodhpur sandstone, cost Rs 1.5 lakh.
And since then, Ravana is worshipped every day in the temple.
"They always considered him a sublime, benevolent and mighty soul and revered him. This practice continued here with their stay," says Ajay Dave, a priest at the temple.
On Dussehra, these descendants from Dave Godha clan mourn the day and never go to watch his effigies burnt.
"We assemble in the temple and offer special prayers to Ravana," says Dave.
These descendants regard Ravana as a scholarly person of his times regardless his kidnapping of Sita, which led to his elimination by lord Rama.
"He was a glorious and dignified king of Lanka, who had earned the blessings of lord Shiva. He was a great scholar of his times, who had a vast knowledge of Vedas and puranas," adds Dave.
A temple of the Maa Kharanana, revered by Ravana himself and referred as `kuldevi` of his clan, also stands atop a small hill in Mandor, where also regular prayers are held.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees