Mandor residents worship the Ravana of good times
Jodhpur: If you want to see the burning of Ravana`s effigy on Dussehra, don`t head for Mandor in this city where the mythological demon king is worshipped by people.
As legend goes, Ravana was married to Mandodari, daughter of the king of Mandawar, known as Mandor now, a picturesque garden town about 11 km from the city.
After the wedding, some of his relatives are said to have stayed here.
At first, Ravana was worshipped by people in their homes but in 2008, a temple was constructed and his statue invoking lord Shiva installed. The six-and-a-half-feet tall Ravana statue, made of Jodhpur sandstone, cost Rs 1.5 lakh.
And since then, Ravana is worshipped every day in the temple.
"They always considered him a sublime, benevolent and mighty soul and revered him. This practice continued here with their stay," says Ajay Dave, a priest at the temple.
On Dussehra, these descendants from Dave Godha clan mourn the day and never go to watch his effigies burnt.
"We assemble in the temple and offer special prayers to Ravana," says Dave.
These descendants regard Ravana as a scholarly person of his times regardless his kidnapping of Sita, which led to his elimination by lord Rama.
"He was a glorious and dignified king of Lanka, who had earned the blessings of lord Shiva. He was a great scholar of his times, who had a vast knowledge of Vedas and puranas," adds Dave.
A temple of the Maa Kharanana, revered by Ravana himself and referred as `kuldevi` of his clan, also stands atop a small hill in Mandor, where also regular prayers are held.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!