Mandor residents worship the Ravana of good times
Jodhpur: If you want to see the burning of Ravana`s effigy on Dussehra, don`t head for Mandor in this city where the mythological demon king is worshipped by people.
As legend goes, Ravana was married to Mandodari, daughter of the king of Mandawar, known as Mandor now, a picturesque garden town about 11 km from the city.
After the wedding, some of his relatives are said to have stayed here.
At first, Ravana was worshipped by people in their homes but in 2008, a temple was constructed and his statue invoking lord Shiva installed. The six-and-a-half-feet tall Ravana statue, made of Jodhpur sandstone, cost Rs 1.5 lakh.
And since then, Ravana is worshipped every day in the temple.
"They always considered him a sublime, benevolent and mighty soul and revered him. This practice continued here with their stay," says Ajay Dave, a priest at the temple.
On Dussehra, these descendants from Dave Godha clan mourn the day and never go to watch his effigies burnt.
"We assemble in the temple and offer special prayers to Ravana," says Dave.
These descendants regard Ravana as a scholarly person of his times regardless his kidnapping of Sita, which led to his elimination by lord Rama.
"He was a glorious and dignified king of Lanka, who had earned the blessings of lord Shiva. He was a great scholar of his times, who had a vast knowledge of Vedas and puranas," adds Dave.
A temple of the Maa Kharanana, revered by Ravana himself and referred as `kuldevi` of his clan, also stands atop a small hill in Mandor, where also regular prayers are held.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- No Indian casualty in Italy earthquake
- Banaras Hindu University male student abducted, gang-raped
- India stresses State's accountability in terror-WMD linkage
- 'RSS people killed Mahatma Gandhi' - Did Rahul Gandhi say this? Is he lying now? WATCH this video; find out
- Leaked data, if genuine, may compromise Scorpene's stealth element: Former Navy chief