Maternal deaths: Bail plea of medical firm`s official rejected
Jodhpur: The Rajasthan High Court on Monday rejected the bail plea of a senior official of Indore-based
Parenteral Surgicals Ltd, which supplied the contaminated
intravenous (IV) fluid that led to 17 maternal deaths in two
government hospitals here.
Justice Kailash Chandra Joshi rejected the bail
application of Sanjay Shah, the production manager and quality
controller of the company, on the basis of a Forensic
Scientific Laboratory`s report that found the IV fluid of one
batch, used in Umaid Hospital, contaminated.
The above mentioned batch had failed the bacterial
endotoxin and sterility test and was declared unfit for human
administration, the report said.
"Besides this, given the fact that police probe in the
case is still pending, the court observed that it would not be
justifiable to grant bail to Shah," additional advocate
general, Anand Purohit said.
Purohit also raised question on the qualification of
Shah for the post in which he was working in the company. He
argued that Shah is a commerce graduate -- a qualification
categorically not in commensuration with the eligibility for
the job that was entrusted on him.
Before joining the medical company, Shah was working
as a sales manager in a hosiery company, he told the court.
"It is evident that the administration of the
contaminated IV fluid of Batch 0077 had led to death of these
17 women in a month," he said.
The hospital administration had registered complaint
against the Indore-based company as it had supplied the
contaminated IV fluid on February 23.
Shah was later arrested from Indore, and lodged in
Jodhpur following his interrogation in connection with the
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference