Minister named accused in Bhanwari Devi case
Jodhpur: The Jodhpur police on Saturday registered a case of rape, murder and criminal conspiracy against state Water Resources Minister Mahipal Maderna in the case of disappearance of a nurse.
The case against Maderna was registered at Bhilada after a local court ordered the police on Friday to make the minister an accused in the FIR lodged in the disappearance of Bhanwari Devi who allegedly featured in a compromising position with the minister on a CD.
Amarchand, husband of the auxiliary nurse and midwife Bhanwari Devi, had approached the civil court in Jodhpur’s Bilada town on Tuesday accusing the minister of raping and murdering Bhanwari Devi.
“The additional chief judicial magistrate court has directed police to include the minister as an accused and probe his role under Sections 376 (rape), 302 (murder) and 120B (criminal conspiracy of the Indian Penal Code),” Amarchand’s lawyer Paras Chauhan said yesterday.
The lawyer said that when Amarchand approached police after his wife’s disappearance, changes were made in his complaint. “They left out Maderna’s name and first lodged just a missing person complaint,” he said.
On Thursday, the Rajasthan High Court had lambasted the investigating officer in the case and expressed dissatisfaction over the pace of investigations conducted by the police.
The court asked the inspector general of police, Jodhpur range, to appear before it on Monday and submit an explanation for the “disappointing pace” of the investigation.
Amarchand, who has threatened self-immolation, said he had to approach the court as police have failed to find Bhanwari Devi, almost a month after she was reported missing.
Bhanwari Devi’s son Sahil also alleged on Thursday that the minister was involved in his mother’s kidnapping.
“There is threat to our lives also,” Sahil said while staging a sit-in outside the Jodhpur district collector’s office along with activists of some NGOs.
Police have so far arrested a government contractor from Jodhpur’s Bilada area. They had also detained three youths from Sikar district, but let them off due to lack of evidence.
During interrogation, the name of Shahbuddin, a resident of Pipad area here and a mechanic by profession, also came up. He is suspected to be the key link who can lead the police to the woman, but he has not yet been traced, an officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow