Minor`s gang-rape: HC directs suspension of additional SP
Jaipur: The Rajasthan High Court on Tuesday asked the state government to suspend an additional superintendent of police for not filing a proper chargesheet in a case of gang-rape of a 13-year-old girl.
A single judge bench of the court directed IG Bharatpur to initiate action against the ASP in the gang-rape case, which happened in Bharatpur district in April last year.
"The conduct of Additional SP is seen even in the court, which is not befitting the police official addressing the court. Government is directed to take it seriously and keep him under suspension," Justice MN Bhandari said.
Aggrieved by the "shoddy" police investigations, father of the ST girl had approached the High Court in July last year.
The court then directed the police on July 31 to record the victim`s statements before a magistrate under CrPC Section 164 but the same was not done, prosecution said.
When the case came again for hearing on August 17, the investigating officer, Additional SP Bhanwar Lal, told the court that a chargesheet would be filed against the accused on the basis of the minor`s statements recorded before the magistrate.
The victim had told the magistrate that two persons raped her while seven others assisted them in the crime.
The police officer, nevertheless, dropped the gang-rape charge against the accused in the chargesheet filed before the trial court for minor offences.
The High Court bench was annoyed over the fact that when the minor`s statements were recorded before the magistrate it clearly showed she was gang-raped, then what forced the police to charge the accused for lesser offences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video