Missing cases: HC asks police to submit status rep
Jaipur: The Rajasthan High Court on Tuesday asked for the status report of over 6,000 missing cases, pending since 2003, from the state police.
DGP Harish Meena along with 32 IPS and RAS officials, and several SHOs from across Rajasthan appeared before the high court after they were summoned for alleged incorrect approach towards investigation in over 6,000 cases of missing persons in the state.
The matter was taken up on 90 habeas corpus petitions, pending in the court since 2003.
The bench comprising Justices Dalip Singh and Meena V Gomber expressed concern over the issue of human trafficking and asked the DGP to increase coordination amongst all officers and ensure proper monitoring of such investigations by senior officials.
"We have seen that SPs concerned are not keen to see as to what is happening in the investigations in FIRs pertaining to abduction, kidnapping or missing persons. It is surprising to see that the first two weeks in such cases are very crucial and police officials keep on beating around the bush and by the time some clue comes, things have taken bad shape," the bench observed.
"Our purpose to call you and other officers is just to nudge you to wake up and do the needful...We believe submissions like having anti-human trafficking cells, missing persons squad won`t do. We want results which is unfortunately not on cards even when the investigations are going on for last 8 years in some cases. We cannot approve such an approach," the court said.
The court asked DGP Harish Meena to take a cue from Delhi Police in cases of human trafficking, citing the example of quick investigation in baby Falak case, and provide such training to all police officials.
The DGP assured the bench that proper investigations will be done in the cases and status reports will be filed by July 16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'