Missing cases: HC asks police to submit status report
Jaipur: The Rajasthan High Court today asked for the status report of over 6,000 missing cases, pending since 2003, from the state police.
DGP Harish Meena along with 32 IPS and RAS officials, and several SHOs from across Rajasthan appeared before the high court after they were summoned for alleged incorrect approach towards investigation in over 6,000 cases of missing persons in the state.
The matter was taken up on 90 habeas corpus petitions, pending in the court since 2003.
The bench comprising Justices Dalip Singh and Meena V Gomber expressed concern over the issue of human trafficking and asked the DGP to increase coordination amongst all officers and ensure proper monitoring of such investigations by senior officials.
"We have seen that SPs concerned are not keen to see as to what is happening in the investigations in FIRs pertaining to abduction, kidnapping or missing persons. It is surprising to see that the first two weeks in such cases are very crucial and police officials keep on beating around the bush and by the time some clue comes, things have taken bad shape," the bench observed.
"Our purpose to call you and other officers is just to nudge you to wake up and do the needful...We believe submissions like having anti-human trafficking cells, missing persons squad won`t do. We want results which is unfortunately not on cards even when the investigations are going on for last 8 years in some cases. We cannot approve such an approach," the court said.
The court asked DGP Harish Meena to take a cue from Delhi Police in cases of human trafficking, citing the example of quick investigation in baby Falak case, and provide such training to all police officials.
The DGP assured the bench that proper investigations will be done in the cases and status reports will be filed by July 16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?