Molestation cases to affect Rajasthan tourism: Tour operators
Jaipur: Rajasthan`s tourism industry is aghast at the recent molestation of two French tourists in Jodhpur, saying such incidents will impact the inflow of visitors.
"We were already feeling the pinch of recession and now this kind of incident will certainly affect the inflow of tourists to the state," said Navendu Goswami, a tour operator.
The two women said they had come to visit Jodhpur, over 330 km from the state capital Jaipur, when two youths posing as tourist guides took them to an isolated place and tried to rape them on Wednesday.
Assistant Commissioner of Police (East) Keshar Singh Shekhawat said that both the youths, identified as Zishan Khilji and Mubaraq, were arrested on charges of rape attempt and molestation.
"The two women tourists stayed in a heritage hotel in Jodhpur. They went to Mandore Garden for a stroll. The two men engaged them in a conversation. The duo offered to guide them in seeing the garden and other parts of the city," said the officer.
"The duo took the two women to nearby hills and misbehaved with them at an isolated place there...They tried to rape them... The women protested...and somehow managed to flee. They saw some labourers working nearby and approached them for help," said the officer.
A crowd gathered and beat up the duo who were then handed over to police.
"One of the youth is a college student, while the other is a cook at hotel," said the officer.
Several incidents of misbehaviour, molestation and sexual harassment with foreign tourists have been reported in various parts of the state in the recent past.
"These kinds of incidents create insecurity in the mind of the tourists. Why would they like to travel to a place which has no security," said Karan Singh, another local tour operator.
Rajasthan on an average receives 12 lakh foreign and 2 crore domestic tourists every year.
In the last few years, the desert state, a favourite tourist destination for both domestic as well as foreign tourists, has been rocked by incidents of rape and molestation of foreign tourists.
In September 2010, a tourist from Britain was allegedly molested by a schoolteacher in Bundi near Kota.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow