Muslim panchayat bans use of cell-phones by girls
Jaipur: After the khaps in Haryana and Uttar Pradesh, a Muslim community panchayat in Rajasthan Thursday banned girls from using cell-phones and also from dancing and singing at weddings, ostensibly in an effort to prevent incidents like Delhi gang-rape.
Boys and girls have also been prohibited from marrying someone against the wish of their family members or someone from a different community, panchayat members said Thursday.
The restrictions have been imposed on the Muslim community members at Salumbar town in Udaipur district, some 400 km from Jaipur, by the Anjuman Muslim Panchayat, a minority community council.
"We have decided to ban the girls from carrying and using cell phones. The decision was taken with a view that cell phones are spoiling girls," panchayat secretary Habibur Rahman told reporters.
He said that a slew of measures has been taken to ensure safety of girls belonging to the community in the area.
"The girls would not be allowed to dance and sing during wedding functions. A couple cannot get married against the wishes of their family members," said the panchayat secretary.
He added that punitive action will be taken against girls who are found ignoring the panchayat edicts.
"If a couple runs away from house to get married, they will be ostracised and a cash fine of Rs.51,000 will be imposed on them. Fine of Rs.51,000 has also been decided for those who marry someone from a different community," said the secretary.
He added that panchayat decisions have been communicated to all members of the community in the town.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!