Narendra Modi`s praise by poet leads to commotion at cultural event
Jaipur: Praise of BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi by a poet led to a commotion at a cultural event organised by municipal corporation here as BJP and Congress councillors almost came to blows.
It was Diwali festival organised by Udaipur Municipal Corporation in the UMC premises where poets were invited to recite poems last night.
"One poet, Abdul Gaffar, began his poems with the praise of Narendra Modi. He was reciting as if it was a political programme so we objected and demanded to stop the poet from praising Modi," Dinesh Srimali, Leader of Opposition and Congress councillor in the municipal corporation said on Monday.
"It was the programme of municipal corporation, not a political forum. Our objection was initially ignored and BJP councillors pushed us. The poet was later asked to stop," he said.
The programme restarted after a brief interruption.
Congress councillors submitted a representation to District Collector today.
"We demanded from the collector that the expenditure of yesterday`s programme be recovered from BJP," he said.
Mayor Udaipur Rajni Dangi said that poets were expressing their views and had nothing to with the BJP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...