NCW meets victim of caste panchayat`s order
Udaipur: National Commission for Women chairperson Mamata Sharma on Tuesday met the woman who was publicly stripped and beaten on the orders of a caste panchayat in the district for allegedly having an extra-marital affair.
Sharma sought details about the incident from senior officers after speaking to the woman, an official source said.
She also held a meeting with the officers concerned in the case, they said.
The married woman was accused of having eloped with her paramour and the two were stripped by villagers, beaten and tied to a tree in a village in Sarada area on July 22.
Eight accused, including her husband Hamji, have been arrested and an inquiry has already been ordered by the state government.
The woman is presently staying with her parents in the same area, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP