NCW meets victim of caste panchayat`s order
Udaipur: National Commission for Women chairperson Mamata Sharma on Tuesday met the woman who was publicly stripped and beaten on the orders of a caste panchayat in the district for allegedly having an extra-marital affair.
Sharma sought details about the incident from senior officers after speaking to the woman, an official source said.
She also held a meeting with the officers concerned in the case, they said.
The married woman was accused of having eloped with her paramour and the two were stripped by villagers, beaten and tied to a tree in a village in Sarada area on July 22.
Eight accused, including her husband Hamji, have been arrested and an inquiry has already been ordered by the state government.
The woman is presently staying with her parents in the same area, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Wimbledon 2015: Sania Mirza, Rohan Bopanna through to quarters, Paes' campaign ends