NCW meets victim of caste panchayat`s order
Udaipur: National Commission for Women chairperson Mamata Sharma on Tuesday met the woman who was publicly stripped and beaten on the orders of a caste panchayat in the district for allegedly having an extra-marital affair.
Sharma sought details about the incident from senior officers after speaking to the woman, an official source said.
She also held a meeting with the officers concerned in the case, they said.
The married woman was accused of having eloped with her paramour and the two were stripped by villagers, beaten and tied to a tree in a village in Sarada area on July 22.
Eight accused, including her husband Hamji, have been arrested and an inquiry has already been ordered by the state government.
The woman is presently staying with her parents in the same area, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video